- Expression Blend
- Expression Web
- Expression Encoder
- Expression Design
Microsoft Expression Changes
The proliferation of rich interactive web applications across the cloud and mobile devices continues to create new opportunities for creative design and development. As these technologies evolve, Microsoft is committed to providing best-in-class tools for building modern applications. In support of these industry trends Microsoft is consolidating our lead design and development offerings Expression and Visual Studio to offer all of our customers a unified solution that brings together the best of Web and modern development patterns.
- Blend continues to ship as a standalone tool with Visual Studio 2013, as part of a consolidated designer/developer offering. Blend for Visual Studio 2013 provides a rich design-centric environment for building applications for the Windows Store, Windows Phone, WPF, and Silverlight.
- Expression Studio 4 Ultimate and Expression Studio 4 Web Professional are no longer available for sale. For customers who previously purchased these products, all components within Ultimate and Web Professional will be supported through their support lifecycle .
- Expression Design 4 and Expression Web 4 are now available for download at no charge. Technical support will not be available for these free versions.
- Expression Encoder 4 Pro is no longer available for sale. For customers who previously purchased this product, it will be supported through its support lifecycle. Expression Encoder 4 remains available for download at no charge.
Blend for Visual Studio, introduced with Visual Studio 2012 and enhanced in Visual Studio 2013, provides advanced design-centric capabilities for building applications for Windows Store, Windows Phone, WPF, and Silverlight. You can download Blend for Visual Studio 2013 with Visual Studio Express for Windows, Visual Studio Express for Windows Phone, and Visual Studio Professional 2013 and higher.
The web is now about applications as well as traditional web sites, and this requires a new set of tools. Microsoft is committed to offering a unified approach to focus on web design and development features in Microsoft Visual Studio 2013 and beyond.
Expression Web is now available as a free download from the Microsoft Download Center, and no new versions will be developed. Customers who previously purchased Expression Web will receive support through the established support lifecycle. The Expression SuperPreview Remote Beta service has been discontinued, but SuperPreview will continue to work with supported locally-installed browsers.
Going forward, Microsoft is continuing to invest in encoding, format conversion, and live on-demand streaming as a part of Windows Azure Media Services .
Expression Encoder 4 Pro is no longer available for sale. It will be supported for the remainder of its support lifecycle and no new versions will be developed.
Customers are demanding better tools to help them create innovative, user-centric, fast and fluid applications. Going forward, our focus is on building the best tools for creating these applications with Visual Studio and Blend for Visual Studio, importing content from a range of widely used graphical tools.
Expression Design is now available as a free download from the Microsoft Download Center, and no new versions will be developed. Customers who previously purchased Expression Design as part of Expression Ultimate or Expression Web will receive support through the established support lifecycle .
Frequently Asked Questions
What’s the difference between the free and paid versions of Expression Web and Design?
The features and functionality are the same between the free download and paid versions. The key difference is that the free versions are not supported, meaning they come as-is and no Microsoft technical support is available (these products are supported via the community).
How do I get technical support for Expression products?
If you purchased Expression Studio Ultimate, Expression Web Professional or Expression Encoder Pro: you’re eligible for the same support as today via assisted support, self-support, and the community. Support is available on the Expression support webpage .
If you did not purchase Expression Web or Design and are using a free version: these products are supported via the community.
I recently purchased Expression Studio 4 Ultimate, Expression Studio 4 Web Professional or Expression Encoder 4 Pro and would like a refund.
- Contact the retailer you purchased it from to see if your purchase is within their return policy
- If your purchase is not within the retailer return policy:
- North America: submit your refund request through the Microsoft Money Back Guarantee program
- Outside of North America: contact the nearest Microsoft subsidiary for assistance
I have Expression Studio 4 Ultimate, Web Professional, and/or Expression Encoder 4 Pro through a MSDN, MPN, BizSpark, WebsiteSpark, or DreamSpark subscription. Will the supported versions of the software be available to me?
You will continue to have access to the same software and support for Expression.
If I have Software Assurance for Expression Ultimate, how does this announcement impact me?
Volume licensing customers with active Software Assurance for Expression Ultimate received a one-time grant of Visual Studio Professional 2012 when Expression Ultimate was removed from the Volume Licensing pricelist.